Let's connect. A quick intro.
If you know where you are heading to, use links to the left. Otherwise, read on. This short intro gives the same links in proper context.
- Basic flow
- Iframely takes your URL as an input, fetches the semantics from the origin server and tries return rich media embed codes and other URL data. If successful, you'll get
<html>as embed code that follows your API settings and your optional query-string params. If request fails, you may get a number of result codes.
- API formats and endpoints
Iframely APIs are based on JSON format. There are (just) two API endpoints available: one follows oEmbed spec, another one - detailed Iframely format which mimics the
<head>of the origin URL with
- What URLs to send
- We suggest you send everything you have (just match it against
/^https?:\/\//i). Though Iframely knows rich media for over 1900 domains, we in fact cover thousands more and can not give you a definite list. We suggest that you white-list not the specific providers, but rather specific media types. Read more about our approach.
- HTML helpers
- Iframely offers number of media rendering helpers through our async hosted iFrames. Initially, your account is configured to use those helpers for edge cases only, but you may also request it for all URLs.
- Customize & fine-tune
For individual URLs, you can give your authors our URL options to choose media variant they prefer and put it in their article just the way they want it.
In general, you should cache API responses on your end and refresh your local data periodically (providers change their embed codes, videos get removed, we add new providers, etc.). We recommend cache time-to-live of 1 to 24 hours.
We ourselves use heuristic algorithms in determening when to purge caches. Our iFrames update the media they contain in the background.
For CMS use-case, we recommend our short IDs so that you can refresh Iframely data in batches of up to 100 URLs in your articles.
- Avaliable integrations & guides
You can use our embed.js script to embeds without making any API calls, just by changing HTML a little on your page.
There is a number of Iframely integrations available: WordPress plugin, Meteor package, Medium–like text editor add-on, CKEditor supports Iframely, NodeBB forums, to mention a few. There are also guides for React, Angular and AMP.
- Become a publisher