What URLs to send to API?
Iframely suggests your a unique and flexible approach in determining which providers you'd like to support. Instead of white-listing individual providers on your side, we recommend that you choose what types of embeds and widgets work for your app.
Should API usage be a concern, you can opt to skip URLs if Iframely couldn't find embeds that meets your criteria. You'll get result code 417 in such cases. And any 4xx responses don't count towards usage.
URLs supported by Iframely
- Iframely knows rich media from over 1800 providers.
- This doesn't include thousands of custom domains by hosters. Say, BrightCove, Bandcamp, Tumblr, Behance, 23video, Libsyn, Podbean and many others.
- Plus it doesn't include thousands domains that use standard players such as YouTube, Vimeo, Ooyala, Wistia. Plus entire media networks of USA Today, CNE and others.
- Add thousands news, media and blogging site that we provide summary cards for. Or URL data for your own URL previews.
- Add any direct link to image, MP4 videos or PDF files Iframely recognizes and provides embed codes for. Plus GIFs, of course.
- Plus numerous URL shorteners and URL redirects that mask the origin URL.
With this in mind, giving you a definite list of providers is quite a challenge. We simply gave up trying and stopped counting.
We recommend you send us all
/^https?:\/\//i links you've got and we'll give you the results, if any.
If you absolutely need one, here's the ever-changing list of 1800+ domains we have in our whitelist: http://iframe.ly/domains.json. Alternatively, you can always have your internal whitelist of the domains that you want to send to us.
White-list widget types
Iframely gives you more granular control and information about rich media types and general URLs data.
For example, if you have a chat app, you may wish to disable all of
readers such as GitHub Gists and
app such as Twitter status embeds. Or just leave
players only, and get our summary card for other URLs. Or disable our summary card and unfurl URLs yourself.
Also, if you like, API can respond with error 417 ("expectation failed") if no HTML embed codes could be generated according to your settings. This way, such URLs won't affect our billing and be ignored if you don't need to generate previews for those yourself using raw meta data.